HISTORY OF FORT MYERS SHORES

Before 1955, the name ‘Fort Myers Shores’ did not exist but in that year, a large subdivision assumed that identity. The subdivision was developed in three parts from 1955-1969.

A chronology of significant events took place that founded an isolation of the most Eastern Area of Fort Myers from the Urban Core of the City of Fort Myers. 

From 1955 through 1975, the area saw significant growth in infrastructure and residential rates. In order to serve growth in the area as a direct result of all of the new residents from the Fort Myers Shores neighborhood, the following changes took place:


Today the area is home to approximately 4,251 occupied residential properties and 442 commercial properties serving approximately 10,000 residents depending on the time of year.

The subdivisions within the Fort Myers Shores Area are: Fort Myers Shores, Hawks Preserve, Portico, Olga, Orange Harbor, Orange River Hills, Pine Ridge Village, River Forest, River Hall Estates, Riverdale Estates, Sun ‘N’ Fun Park, and Verandah.

Per the Florida Department of Transportation website, here are several links to maps of Fort Myers Shores

Home
About FMS
Meetings
Membership
Contact Us
Links
Events
Local Directory
Photo Gallery
Protect Florida

FMSCA BOARD:

President - Beth Stark
Vice President - Deidre Heindl
Ed Kimball
Dennis Lesser
Next meeting: Fri, September 22nd at 6:00pm
at the River Forest Clubhouse, 13506 Island Rd